Ariyalur district General information
Ariyalur district is bounded on the North by Cuddalore, South by Thanjavur, East by Cuddalore and Thanjavur and West by Perambalur and Tiruchirapalli districts. The new Ariyalur district is functioning from 23.11.2007
Ariyalur district consists of 2 divisions viz., Ariyalur and Udayarpalayam, three Taluks viz., Ariyalur, Udayarpalayam and Sendurai and six blocks.
In 1741 the Marathas invaded Tiruchirappalli and took Chanda Saheb as captive. Chanda Saheb succeeded in securing freedom in 1748 and soon got involved in famous war for the Nawabs place in the Carnatic against Anwardeen, the Nawab of Arcot and his son Mohammed Ali.
Mohammed Ali annexed the two palayams of Ariyalur and Udayarpalayam located with troops were in the Ariyalur district on the grounds of default in payment of Tributes and failure to assist him in quelling the rebellion of Yusuf Khan. In November 1764, Mohammed Ali represented the issue to Madras Council and obtained military assistance on 3rd January 1765. The forces led by Umdat-Ul-Umara and Donald Campbell entered Ariyalur and captured it. The young Poligar together with his followers there upon fled to Udayarpalayam. On the 19th January the army marched upon Udayarpalayam. The Poligar’s troops were defeated and the playams were occupied. The two poligars fled their town and took refuge in Tharangampadi, then a Danish Settlement. The annexation of the palayam gave the Navab un-interrupted possession of all his territories extending Arcot to Tiruchirapalli.
The history followed was a power struggle between Hyder Ali and later Thippu Sultan with the British. After the death of Thippu Sultan the English took the civil and military Administration of the Carnatic in 1801. Thus Tiruchirappalli came in to the hands of the English and the District was formed in 1801. In 1995 Tiruchirappalli was trifurcated and the Perambalur and Karur districts were formed. Perambalur district was divided into Perambalur and Ariyalur district in the year 2001 and merged with Perambalur in the year 2002. Then now the district is bifurcated from Perambalur and .now functioning from 23.11.2007.
As per 2001 census, the population of Ariyalur is 695524, with male 346763 and female 348761. Ariyalur District is centrally located in Tamil Nadu and is 265 K.M. away in southern direction from Chennai. The District has an area of 1949 Sq.Km.
It is an inland district without coastal line. The District has Vellar River in the North and Kollidam River in the South and it has no well marked natural divisions.
The district is fairly rich in mineral deposits. Celeste, Lime Stone, Shale, sand Stone, canker and Phosphate nodules occur at various places in the district.
Vaithiyanatha Swamy Temple at Thirumazhapadi, kaliyuga Varadaraja Perumal Kovil at Kallankurichi and Siva Temple at Gangaikonda Cholapuram are the important holy places for the Hindus, Elakurichi 32 Kms from Ariyalur is famous for the Church built by the famous Catholic Missionary Constantino Joseph Besky popularly known as VEERAMA MUNIVAR. The Gandaikonda Cholapuram Siva Tempole built by Rajendra Chola son of Raja Raja Chola is almost a miniature of Thanjavur Pragadeeswar Temple.
Five major Cement factories in the district reveals the abundant deposit of limestone. The availability of Lignite at Jayankondam and near by places is a gift by Mother Nature. The Fossil is said to have been a national asset according to Geologists.
Sugar cane is grown as a major commercial crop. One private sugar factory near keelapalur is functioning in the district with a capacity of crushing 3000 Tonnes per day. One of the main crop in Ariyalur district is cashew. The pre-dominate soil in the district is red sanding with scattered packers of black soil. The soil in the district is best suited for raising dry crops. The district has a high means of temperature and low degree of humidity.
Places of interest
The great monument at Gangai Konda Cholapuram, the second Pragadeeswar Temple rears its head nobiy and bespeaks the imperial dignity of the capital that Rajendra (1012-1044) the son of Raja Raja established after his victorious march to North East India up to the River Ganga.
The Vettakudi Karaivetti tank situated at 22 Kms, East of Ariyalur in Thirumanur Block is a water fefuge for many migratory birds and over species visit this tank every year between December to March in large congregation